Apr. 28th, 2013 at 6:27 AM
* So I know it has been forever since I've posted much beyond fic here. I rarely post more than once every few months now, but I am still here and I do read through my flists here and at LJ, but I spend more of my time at Tumblr. If you have one, and would like to follow me there, I'm elfflame there, too. I am also at Polyvore as elfflame, if anyone has an account there. I haven't been doing as much there recently, but I still glance in there from time to time and get bursts of creativity there. I love it.
* Family is doing well. Mom seems happy in the new place, and the kids love having my parents right there. Niece is always running down to spend time with her, and now that nephew is more mobile, he's doing so, too. Dad went on a ski trip about a month ago and decided to pretend to be a stunt skiier and did a 360 off an icy mogul on the slope and dislocated his shoulder. The prognosis from the doctor is that it is healing, but he did break it a little as well. They're muddling along, though it's a great deal harder now that he only has one arm to use. At least sis and brother-in-law are right there.
* Work! I have been working. I was at the very end of my rope, and thinking I would have to do some things I really wasn't looking forward to when my temp place finally called with a job. I am now working for a company in Eastlake, just south of the University Bridge, and the job I was initially doing was right up my alley. Then someone in the department decided to retire, so they felt me out about doing that job, so now I have a definite permanent job. We just have to wait for my contract with the temp place to be up before they hire me on permanent. Co-workers are great. Lots of great people to talk to. And the job itself is pretty brainless, so that's fine. Means I can think of other things while I work. Like stories. The scary part of the job is coming up in about two weeks, when we send out a mass mailing. I get to scan in and update the department on what we've gotten back. But currently we're in the off time, so I've been able to do the other job, which has been nice.
* One of the co-workers brought in her new laptop last week to show me Scrivener. I knew of it from all the jabber on the NaNoWriMo boards about it, but I'd never tried it myself, because I figured I couldn't afford it. Turns out it's $40, which is definitely doable, and there are some major selling qualities... So I downloaded it Friday night, and spent a good portion of yesterday playing with it and putting in info for my Nano from 2009, which was the first original Nano I've done. The story has a few major flaws, so I'm going to use the original more as an outline and guide of where to take the new one. Still not finished inputting everything for it into the program, but I have plans to set up a bunch more. But my plan is to play with it on the weekends (you get 30 non-consecutive days free, a major selling point on its own) until I get offered perm at my job, then buy it.
* Speaking of Nano, I still haven't finished my Nano for this last year. I'm well over 60k now, and I "won," so it's mostly just been trying to get myself to finish it. Still love it, though. And I am getting toward the end. I think I have 10-15k left at least... That's the next project that gets put into Scrivener.
* And one more NaNo note...my previous Nano, the second set of H/D fairy tales, is incomplete here on IJ, and still unedited. Not sure if I want to finish posting the rest at this late date, unless I'm specifically asked. So we'll see. I've been working on editing my NaNos with Wolfish Cat, and we just finished the first set of H/D fairy tales, so next comes the Sultan's Slave. :) Looking forward to that one.
* Cats are still around, though the girl seems to want to be hurt, because she keeps waking me very early in the morning. Anyone have advice on stopping that, because the lack of sleep is really starting to wear on me. Boy is slowing down, which worries me, but he hasn't had one of his attacks in years. Knock on wood that he won't.
* TV: Still watching a lot of tv. Mad Men, Grimm, and Castle are my most-favorite these days. Still haven't caught up with Supernatural. And watch way too much reality tv. Would really like that trend to go away. I think unless something great happens on Revolution soon, I'll stop watching that one. Just...nothing there. It's too bad, too. And Defiance isn't a whole lot better. The alien Malfoy family is...yeah... Looking forward to seeing White Collar and Warehouse 13 again. And I know that Haven was renewed, too, though that probably won't pop up for a few more months. Getting towards the end of Season 3 of Glee with Foodie. Enjoyed Matt Bomer, and loved Unique...but then I loved Alex on the Glee Project (I did say I watched a lot of reality TV, right?), so it was great to see him again. He and Damion were my top two, and I couldn't stand the other two. Foodie and I generally watch two episodes of whichever show and a movie, but with Doctor Who on right now, we've been watching that instead and rounding out the evening with some Red Dwarf. It's been great fun rewatching the show. More so because she's never gotten to see them in order like this before. :) Reminds me of the 90s when I got to see it at Norwescon...
* Future plans: hearing possible whispers of Lubricus, which I would absolutely adore going to if it happens, but I'm nowhere in the loop on that one, and I don't know if I'll be in the middle of a mailing when it happens, so I might not be able to get the time off. I'm also hoping to go back to Norwescon, given that I haven't been to one since the late 90s. I miss it. It would be fun to actually go to panels, and meet some of the locals I know from LJ. :)
* Genealogy is going well... I had another distant cousin contact me, this one from one of the skimpy branches of my family tree, so that made me very happy. I'm looking forward to more contact with her. As of this moment, my family tree file has more than 4600 individuals in it, most of whom were hand-entered by me. I've been being more diligent about recording where information came from, and it's all starting to really pull together. I love doing it, I just hate my brick walls... Particularly the German Jewish contingent. Every time I start to look into that branch, I just get very depressed. I'm lucky. My grandfather's father got them out of Germany in 33, but there were some extended family members of his wife's family who might not have been so lucky. If anyone is interested in reading more, or would like help with their own family tree, just let me know. I love talking about this stuff, and helping others get set up.
* Kindle: I've been reading more. Still mostly fanfiction, but slowly leaking into original works I've been able to find here and there, and the occasional actual book, but I prefer my Kindle because it's small and easy to use, and I don't have to deal with heavy books in my bag, or how badly I'm battering paperbacks. I did find myself a toy that helped me to find more fanfic (and original fic), if anyone is interested: Fan Fiction Downloader. It only helps with certain sites, but one of them is FF.net/Fictionpress, so between those and AO3, there's a ton of fic to read. I think the next thing I'll likely do with it is either connect to the library or buy myself a copy of Hunger Games. I've still not read it, and I really need to. That series and the Percy Jackson books are at the top of my list. Not sure what I'll read beyond that. Any suggestions, folks?
And that's all, though I'll probably do that AO3 meme that's been floating around. Since I didn't do it at year-end this past year.